By nature, the process of massage is therapeutic in a number of different ways. It provides healing and pain reduction in the physical body and improves mental capacity which in turn results in the creation of positive emotions.
Therapeutic massage is often referred to as a holistic therapy due to the fact that it addresses all the aspects of the body, mind and spirit.
1. It is beneficial to the physical body in the following ways:
- Increases blood and oxygen circulation in the body.
- Improves flexibility, mobility as well as the range of motion.
- Decreases muscle, tendon and joint pain, stress and tension.
- Increases the production and release of endorphins in the brain and body which are the hormones that are responsible for making you feel happy and experience positive emotions.
- Reduces the production of stress hormones such as adrenaline and nor-adrenaline.
- Increases mental capacity.
Stress is one of the main causes of muscle pain in the body. The soothing and relaxing benefits of therapeutic massage releases muscle tension thereby alleviating the physical pain that you experience.
2. It benefits the brain and mental functioning in the following ways:
Pain reduction is the primary reason for most people selecting therapeutic massage in the first place. People who are pain free have a greater ability to concentrate and focus the mind. This results in increased mental clarity, improved memory and a sharper mind.
The release of mental and emotional stress as well as physical tension are also essential in improving brain function, all of which are benefits of therapeutic massage. When you have less to stress or worry about, the greater your ability to concentrate and focus on more important subjects.
3. It addresses your emotional needs in the following manner:
When the physical body is no longer experiencing pain and the mental capacity improved, you will experience emotional benefits from therapeutic massage. Massage makes you feel pampered, nurtured and comforted. We also benefit from touch which provides a warm, calming and soothing effect on the body, mind and emotions.
This soothing and calming effect in turn reduces feelings of frustration and irritation allowing you to experience more positive emotions such as feelings of being loved, wanted and having a sense of self worth or approval.
Stress, which is such a great factor in modern life is greatly relieved during therapeutic massage. Not only does it deal with the physical pain and tension caused by high or constant stress levels but also reduces the amount of adrenaline and nor-adrenaline in the body.
Adrenaline is the hormone that is responsible for the human fight or flight response. As you are unable to achieve neither of these instinctive behaviors in society, stress cannot be relieved easily causing high levels of anger, frustration and irritability that can be alleviated through massage.
Not any type of massage will however provide you with all these benefits. It is very important to select a massage therapist who is qualified and with whom you feel safe, a sense of trust and who will understand and address your individual needs.